Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Techy for Dummies

Back in high school when our teachers required us to read literatures, I always thought that books should be available in voice format. I’ve been discovering recently the wonders of technology. I’ve learned to set up my own i-Tunes (ahya used to load my iPod); create my own blog site (with the help of D of course); download torrent and mininova (courtesy of our MIS). I remember the first time I downloaded an audio book (which was just 2 weeks ago). Can’t even understand how big 200mb is. I mean how do you visualize that? I was expecting to download the file in just 15 mins. at the most but it took more than 3 hours. Some techy ppl assisted me step by step. Had an interesting conversation with JC too. Is being techy or learning all these things a component of the left or right brain? I was questioning that because I have to train that part of my brain. Why are these stuffs not thought in school? I asked him how he became computer savvy. He just said he was into computer since grade school. But we attended the same school! How come I don’t know these things? I don’t even know how to utilize my virus programs, what spy wares or lavasoft are. That’s why our MIS set up my antivirus to scan automatically. How do you formulate and program a+b=c? JC laughed so hard and corrected that it should be c=a+b. Huh? This confused me more. What’s the difference? He’s probably questioning how I passed all my computer program classes. Well, I have a set of ‘helpful’ friends. D on the other hand suggested I should create a site counter for my blog site. I tried really. I came across an instruction that I should copy the details (looks like a formula to me) and paste it to my HTML. Ah ok.. Well you know the ending. I failed again. Guess I have to stick with the traditional first. I don’t know if I’m analyzing too much or not thinking at all haha. I just don’t get the idea.

Even though I can’t comprehend how these works, I appreciate technology so much. It has truly evolved and made our lives easier. From the 5” floppy Verbatim disc, it shrinked to 3” compact floppy disk, zip drive, CD to USB. I like the idea of Nintendo Wii too. Haven’t played or seen the actual though. Just heard about it. How does it work? Is it sensored like Bluetooth? And how does Bluetooth works? Through laser or electricity driven? I mean how can one object identify another 100 ft apart? Even texting? How does the message travel? Where does it go? How can you receive text message in just a sec.? Gee, I just have tons of questions. That’s why I’m recommending you guys to compose a book entitled “Techy for Dummies”.

Going back on being a sucker for audio books, it’s just amazing! I can listen and learn while driving and stuck in traffic, strolling the mall, lifting weights at the gym, waiting on long lines at the supermarket, even taking a bath and eating. Yap, I’ve been carrying my iPod around. How I wish though that wireless earphones would be invented. I believe there is but it’s too bulky and it looks like an earmuff. I want just the 2 pcs earplugs. Then I could leave my iPod several feet away from me while I do my workout. That would be wonderful =) And probably in the future, instead of listening to audio books, knowledge could simply be achieved similar to the movie Matrix. A socket was connected in the back of Neo’s skull and allows knowledge to be uploaded directly into his mind. CooL! Or better yet, I can just take a tablet. Hey I think this is possible! Medicine can heal us physically, then why can’t a tablet educate us mentally? I’ll wait in a few years.

No comments: