Thursday, September 27, 2007

Customer is Always Right..Part II

My patience is being tested lately and I’m not sure how long I could hold it. I know I’m weak at this that’s why I’m trying to be more aware and improve it. Last week I received a call from a customer complaining a defective backpack. We are handling the backpack’s brand but it was not bought from us. I was able to help him demand where it was purchased and even spoiled him with freebies and special service for the inconvenience. But what if a customer service representative is the one irate instead? What’s worst than that?

Our family rarely avails our membership with Hilton Club because of our busy lifestyle. I emailed Hilton inquiring the availability of our plan travel date. In a few hours, I received a call from our personal customer rep. and explained my options. She mentioned about the charges for the process, and demanded for my credit card details. Being aware that our schedule is still tentative, I mentioned that the trip is not definite because I was concern that charges may occur.

I was surprised to learn about the charges when I received my credit card statement. I immediately sent an email and within an hour, she called. I was expecting a warm conversation with her which was usually the case. But her initial approached based on her tone was harsh already. The tone of voice was changing every minute. I was surprised with this because instead of me as a customer being irate, it was a customer service representative instead. I tried to hold my patience as she explained her arguments. She explained that receiving the Confirmation Letters means I confirmed the trips. I constantly told her that I was just inquiring the date’s availability on the resort and thought that the Confirmation Letters means that the date’s available. I asked if I can make a reservation on our next trip and not incur charges. She explained it’s possible but I’m not authorized anyways to have a transaction with them since the “Authorization Form” I filed before was denied. I started to be sarcastic so I told her she shouldn’t have transacted with me in the first place. Hee =) I ended the call and told her it’s useless to talk at the moment because I know it’s not going anywhere since she was becoming furious.

Knowing me, I draft a nobela right after and addressed it to all the email add I saw at their website. I even included their company’s core values then linked it to their customer rep. who’s not practicing it. I requested for a reversal of the charges, change of our personal customer rep, and conduct an investigation since I can’t imagine her conversing like that to some top executives or their other members.

I unexpectedly received a call earlier from Hilton. He explained they investigated all our conversations and emails. He apologized on behalf of their customer rep. for being harsh, and promised to reverse the charges. Basically it was a miscommunication. Actually I was expecting more. I already imagined myself laying on the sand and strolling at the beach as Hilton grants me a week stay at their Maldives resort, and maybe meet Paris Hilton and party with her. Haha kidding!

Lessons learned: 1. Customer is always right – You’ll get all your demands if you are consistent and act professionally from the start. That is don’t get emotional even if the other party is irritating you. So that when they conduct an investigation, you are at the right path. 2. Drafting a complain letter – Clearly point your complains, and be specific on your demands. Enhancing the company’s image also helps =) In other words, making bola hehe.

I wonder what type of complain I’ll encounter next. All these experiences help extend my patience. Surely, I’m not looking forward still.

No comments: