Friday, September 21, 2007

Reinventing the Dentist

I never look forward visiting my dentist. Dr. Dizon is nice and capable for sure but there’s just something about it – Dentist Phobia. Feels like dentist uncover a problem more rather than curing something. I always associate it with ‘Pain’. It’s always a burden for kids too. We witnessed poor kids being dragged and crying while their tooth’s extracted. Below are factors I noticed and ideas I thought that may make our visit to the dentist more pleasant.

1. Smell – There’s always this smell. Even before you enter the clinic there’s this very strong, irritating cough syrup smell. I don’t know want it is and it haven’t changed through the years. It’s the same smell I recall 10 years ago. I saw improvements though. Dr. Dizon’s clinic has some scented candles but it didn’t solve the problem. Suggestions: Surround the clinic with potpourris / aroma therapy (lavender would be good to feel more relaxing) / scented incense; spray Lysol (smells better than that) / perfume. Anything that would eradicate it.

2. Sight – Just seeing all the stainless steel instruments with needles on the ends laid out on the tray is scary. Something should be done. Suggestions: Make the instruments colorful not stainless. Could be in pastel / neon colors. Beaded design on the handles would be nice too.

3. TV – Installing a TV monitor on the ceiling would take away your focus.

4. Sound – The drilling and ‘sucking’sound of the instruments. It sounds like a blender but in low volume. Suggestions: ‘Noise free’ dental instruments or invent with musical tunes installed in the instruments. Then again you can just use your iPod.

5. Environment - Great efforts done on the kid’s cubicle of Dr. Dizon. Disney wallpaper was used and toys surrounded the area. But what about the adult’s cubicle? Suggestions: Make the environment like a spa. Use tranquil, Bossa Nova music; and interior the place with stones, fountain or plants.

6. Names - The tools names are too complex. Suggestions: Instead of saying to the asst: “Paki abot yung scaler / extractor”, use aliases instead. Scaler could stand for Hershey and an extractor for Mickey. It sounds friendlier.

Imagine if we get to experience these things the next time we visit our dentist. It’s gonna be more pleasant. Dentist Phobia no more. Hmm..I think I have to start discussing these with Dr. Dizon before my surgery.

2 comments:

Didi said...

I'm quite the opposite, you see - I LOVE THE DENTIST! The smell, the drilling! Everything about it! Gosh - I await the times I visit my dentist! hahaha... Saddista ba? But I swear - I enjoy every minute of the drilling! I know... I'm weird! Hahaha.. :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.